UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My father died in March 2007 without leaving a will. l didnot

My father died in March 2007 without leaving a will. l didnot at the time appreciate that maybe l was entitled to inherit. My mother who was married to my father remained at the property, applied for grant of probate etc etc
It has come to my notice that my mother was entitled to all personal property, the first £250,000.00 of the estate and half of the remaining. There are three children, one deceased with three children. What i would like to know is, is it too late to claim for some of the estate.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
No, it is still not too late, you have 12 years from the date your father passed away to make a claim as a beneficiary against the estate and sometimes, courts may extend this 12 year period to 30 years.
Also, your mother would only be entitled to the first £125,000 of the estate as your father died before 1 Feb 2009, not £250,000 and a life interest in the remaining half of the estate.
I would advise you to consult a solicitor to assist you with the claim process.
Good luck