LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I was stopped on 5 October 2014. I didn't hear

Customer Question

I was stopped for speeding on 5 October 2014. I didn't hear anything until over 6 months later, although the letter was dated February 2015 the envelope was dated 29 April 2015. Should I have heard before this?
Also, I pleaded guilty by post and have today received my notice of fine. The fine is £240.00, Victim Sur £24.00, Costs £85.00 totalling £349.00 - can you advise if this is right to be charged costs and Victim Sur whatever this is?.
Elaine
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
Normally you shod get a notice seeking possession within 14 days of the offence but if you were stopped at the time, this limit will be unlikely to apply. The prosecution then have 6 months to lay the information about the offence at the magistrates court. This usually precedes service of the court summons by a few weeks. The key date therefore for whether the prosecution is out of time is the date that the information was issued. This should be referred to in the summons.
In terms of costs and surcharge this is normal. £85 costs is normal and the surcharge is a tax that everyone has to pay on being found guilty or pleading guilty to any offence.
I hope this answers your question but please feel free to ask for more information if it doesn't.