31090051

I'm a car dealer, I sold a car to a customer 2 months

Customer Question

hello, I'm a car dealer, I sold a car to a customer 2 months ago and it has broken, they are referencing the sales of goods act and claiming I need to fix it.
I'm just wondering if that is true? I'm mainly worried that my customer could have driven it and broken it what it my legal rights if I don't want to fix this car?
is there not some sort of cut off point either mileage or time period or do I just pay every time a customer's car breaks?
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
The car has to be of satisfactory quality at the time of purchase and the defect has to be one which is likely to have been present at the time of sale. The general rule is that a defect occurring within months of the sale would be the responsibility of the retailer depending on the age and known condition at the time of purchase.
There is a Scottish case which usefully gives some guidance on this subject. The law in Scotland and England as regards ***** ***** goods is substantially similar and this will give you an interesting insight into motor vehicle defects and the law.
Google for David Douglas v Glenvarigill Company Limited
Happy to discuss.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.