29905560

I just want to enquire I gave a patient a drug past his time

Customer Question

I just want to enquire I gave a patient a drug past his time of taking it .can I lose my badge
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Is your employer taking any formal action against you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was working for an Agency yes they are

What has happened so far?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nothing ward coordinator is taking to the patient for an.apology what happens next I. Don't know

Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and will get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
How far this issue goes would really depend on the seriousness of the incident. Drug errors do occur and it is a matter of determining how serious this one was, whether there was any potential for serious harm being done to the patient and if you had not followed specific procedures expected of you. I know nurses who have given the wrong dose of a drug to a patient and have only had a talking to by their manager but that is because the dose was not too large and the potential for any harm being cased to the patient was quite low.
In any event, any issues of misconduct can be reported to the regulatory body by the employer and then it would be for them to decide if any further investigation is necessary. They would advise you if that is the case and make arrangements for the evidence to be gathered.
So at this stage do not assume the worst – it is far from that. It could be that the patient would be happy with an apology and that would be the end of the matter. As you are an agency nurse it means the employer could decide not to use your serviced again and you could also be dropped by the agency. But for your badge to be removed it really has to be something rather serious and giving a drug past someone’s time for taking it would not automatically be that serious, although as mentioned it would depend on the type of drug, the side effects it could have caused, how urgently the patient required it and so on.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.