31090051

My husband put in a claim and he died last year, I

Customer Question

My husband put in a claim for PPI and he died last year, I have just received a cheque from the company for £2000 and had to send it back with my husbands death certificate and a covering letter, to be told that I cannot have the cheque unless I get a letter of Probate and send it to the company then they will send the cheque to me in my name, Why do I have to do that?
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Because your husband didn't have a will he has no executor and that is why they are asking for probate. However, if your husband left an estate of less than about £20000 generally banks and other institutions would pay out on a death certificate and an indemnity from next of kin. If that is the case I would take this up with them again.
Happy to discuss.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.