75100385

I recently received a caution on the train by a ticket

Hi, I recently received a caution on the train by a ticket inspector. The accusation was that the ticket I was traveling with (30 day return) had been used previously.The ticket covered my entire journey and was on its final valid day (expiring tomorrow the day after). As far a I know, it had not passed though a ticket machine previously and had not been stamped. Could you please advise what the repercussions of this could be? My ticket was confiscated and I did not receive a copy of the caution.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
When you say as far as you know, what is it not your ticket ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it is my ticket. I tend to carry several open return tickets in my wallet but am pretty sure this one has not been used previously, despite it being close to its expiry

Did the Inspector say there would be further action?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, he read me my rights and filled in a form I had to sign. He said I would receive a letter

Ok. You need to wait to see what happens. You should have got a copy of the ticket and been told why it was defective. If you are sure it wasn't used then there isn't anything they can do. Even if it was I am sure all they would do, if this was the first offence, would be to warn you.
It isn't worth prosecuting if you won't and haven't done it before or since.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is probably worth mentioning that when the ticket inspector started filling in the caution form, I got nervous and said I may have used the ticket before but I am really not sure. I thought the ticket was valid.

That being said, if I have traveled with the ticket previously, I am confident it has not been through a barrier.

That doesn't matter though If you made an admission, that really doesn't help you. It makes no difference if you had been through a barrier, you said you may have used it before.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, so does my admission change the outcome?
It does not change it but does not assist you.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. What I'm really concerned about - is how likely am I to be prosecuted for fare evasion etc? (I've read horror stories on the internet) Or, is it most likely to be an out of court fine? Or warning... if I'm lucky?
I wouldn't worry at this stage, you may just get a fine or warning from them.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.