How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Alice H Your Own Question

Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2849
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

Looking through some old file, I took court action against

Customer Question

Looking through some old file, I took court action against someone for £1300 in 2001. The court awarded in my favour and asked him to pay me the money. 14 years on, he hasn't. Is the case still valid, as figured he must have some money by now?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you. What steps to enforce the judgment did you take at the time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Court order, and oral examination. He said to the court he'd pay, but never did.

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
The trouble is that the judgment is quite old and you will have to apply to the court to enforce it now that 14 years have passed. You would not be applying for a new judgment but simply enforcing the original one but the debtor could argue too much time has passed. If you have the time and money to pursue this there is no reason why you shouldn't apply for a further oral examination and if that reveals money in the bank you could apply for a third party debt order or indeed apply for a warrant of execution and send in the bailiffs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All true, but does time absolve someone from debt..?

Is there a "cheap" way to find out if this case is still stands? He's probably moved address and stuff too.

Time and money - I'm not too bothered as wrote it off in my head a long time ago, but found the papers whilst having a clear out. Wondering if to shred and forget, or re-open. £1300 is £1300. Plus interest.

I'm assuming he must have some cash/assets by now, as haven't been notified of any bankruptcy proceedings.

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Despite theories to the contrary the debt is never extinguished but the court will frown on enforcement action that was not taken swiftly; after all even a debtor is entitled to be able to put matters behind him and move on. Your best option is to engage an enquiry agent who for about £100 pr so would be able to carry out some credit checks and determine whether enforcement is worth pursuing. No point trying to claim 14 years interest though - there is case law which says the debtor should not have to pay for the creditors delay in enforcing a judgment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Probably an odd question, but what's an enquiry agency and is there a registered list of such agencies, so I could find a reputable one? If it yields no results, then said papers are being shredded.

I'd say a debtor is entitled to put things behind him and move on following bankruptcy, as that's what it's for, but if the debt is just outstanding for aeons, I don't think it fair to write it off.

Thanks for your help. :)

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
I can understand your frustration. Try this company they're great:Name:D P D InvestigationsAddress:93b Oak HillCity:Woodford GreenPostal Code:IG8 9PFFax(###) ###-####3323

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice