Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

How long after being stopped does it take for

Customer Question

how long after being stopped for speeding does it take for a summons take to come through and how long does it take for it to be too late for the ticket to be actioned? i have been waiting almost 3 months from getting pulled over.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is***** time limit for a prosecution is six months from the date of the offence. So the police still have another 3 months to lay an information with the Magistrates Court to prosecute for the offence. From laying an information to issuing a summons takes only a matter of a couple of weeks.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Can I assist further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi there

thanks for the reply, I do appreciate it, sorry for the delay, struggled to get back in the system.

Seriously 6 months from being pulled over to file it, I am so surprised.

Thank you very much for your time and information.

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
The six month time limit is laid down in law under Section*****Act 1980. It applies to most traffic offences including speeding.