UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My brother has terminal cancer. Despite this, his wife has

Customer Question

My brother has terminal cancer. Despite this, his wife has been verbally and physically abusive to him. She has also been slandering him within his church's community - he is Seventh Day Adventist. The pastor at the church is aware of her behaviour. She was dividing her time between her flat in London and my brother's council house in Birmingham. She was not caring for him and his condition was deteriorating. My brother eventually decided that he no longer wished to see her and moved away to live at a friends house in Norfolk, where he has been cared for. He had been at his friends house for 7 weeks. She visited him twice briefly, once while keeping the meter on the taxi running, to retrieve the marriage certificate. He is now in hospital in Norwich.
The pastor and my brother's friend went to visit him yesterday and he told them to go away as his wife was there. She said that she is his next of kin but he told me that I was the next of kin and I have even been speaking to the oncologist about my brother when he rang me this week. The pastor who knows her very well told her that she was an evil, manipulative, parasitic woman. He was very angry that she has turned up again and is fearful of what she might do next, as am I and his friend. Can you advise what measures we can take in this situation.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please continue your search. Unfortunately, my brother passed away on Monday 13 July. His wife went to the hospital last Saturday 11 July and stayed there until his death, purporting to be a dutiful, caring wife. My brother made a Will when he first went to Watton, not knowing how long he had to live. So far my brother's wife is complying with the executor of my brother's Will in allowing him to collect the death certificate from the hospital and agreeing with my brother's wishes that he be buried in Watton, Norfolk. However, we don't know how long she will be complicit and would like to know whether she can in any way cause trouble when she knows what is in the Will. My brother told me that he was leaving her his wedding ring and that was it.

I am very sorry for your loss.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
I am very sorry to hear about your late brother.
His wife may contest his Will if she wants to but she needs to have good grounds to contest it such as lack of mental capacity of your brother when he made the Will, undue influence, fraud, if she thinks she has not been adequately provided for etc.
At the moment, you say she is complying with your late brother's wishes as per his Will so it would be speculation to say she will cause trouble in the future.
It is up to her to contest the Will in the courts and if she does not do so, the Will takes effect.
all the best
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need help?