LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I am in my early twenties and have met a woman, she is 16 so

I am in my early twenties and have met a woman, she is 16 so she is above the age of consent to start a relationship and a sexual relationship. But I am a police officer and as she is not 18 yet before we look at moving on from a friendship to a relationhip I want to know if it is possible and within the law as I would not pursue this any further if it was not. At this moment we have not discussed anything sexual have had no physical contact and have just struck up a friendship I met her in my private life as she is a friend of the family months after she had turned 16 and have never had any dealings with her or her family in the course of my job so as far as I know it would not come under abuse of a position of trust. Is it legal if we start a sexual relationship?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.
There will be no problems with you, commencing sexual relations with this 16 year old simply because you are a police officer. I assume there are no vulnerability or mental health issues with the girl as this might complicate matters.
I hope this answers your question but please feel free to ask further questions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No the girl has no mental health issues and is of sound body and mind she is not under the care of social services or any other government body or care authority. I was just confirming what I already believed to be true but wished for legal advice before the relationship went any further as she has expressed her wishes to start a relationship regardless of the age difference. Thank you for your time and swift response.