12826847

I have had a letter saying that I owe council tax arrears

Customer Question

Hello, I have had a letter saying that I owe council tax arrears from 2003 but does not state so on the letter, it just gives this year. It was an address that I allegedly lived at for 6months, though it is over 6 years old, does that mean it could be a barred debt? Would they need proof that I lived there, do I "have" to pay it? I am on a very tight budget please can you help answer my questions. Would very much appriciate this, Thank you
I'm afraid that this is Crown's debt and so not subject to time barring under the Limitation Act 1980 although the older the debt the less likely it is that they would have proper records sufficient to get a liabiliy order.
You may or may not be the liable person. You say that you lived there but obvious sometimes landlords are the liable person.
If you are the liable person then they will give you time to pay. It is not your fault they haven't brought this before now.
I'm very sorry but I have to give you truthful information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo,

I am happy with your answer, I really wanted you to be truthful so I am pleased that you have, thank you.

So they would need to prove it yes?

Oh yes, they will need to prove it and the older the debt the less likely they can.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much

Best wishes

Frances

No problem.
All the best.