29905560

I recently invested a huge amount of money in fine wines.The

I recently invested a huge amount of money in fine wines.The last transaction I was promised ,was only short term & would be sold in Hong Kong at a healthy profit & would be paid at the end of March! This didn't happen.Since then I have been phoning the company every week to speak to the broker who promised me & indeed did sell at a healthy profit - but the sale fell through.I haven't been able to speak with him.I feel so stupid for trusting him after talking on the phone for about a year.I now feel I have been part of a scam,as I only just checked on line the price of the wines.It never entered my head to do this earlier,as I trusted him.I fear now I have lost about £60,000 & don't know what to do or who to turn to.I inherited this money & was made redundant ,so am living on my inheritance.Please can you advise me what I can do.Kind regards Diane
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Was your agreement with a company or an individual? Also how did you transfer your money to them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was invested with **************,I paid the money by card & cheque from my current account with Lloyds Bank.

Wine investment scams are nothing new and there have been many instances recently where unsuspecting victims have been swindled out of millions after investing. Just some examples here:

http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/restaurants/wine-scam-costs-investors-110m-6326500.html

Whilst you certainly can report this to the authorities, this then becomes a matter entirely in their hands. They would investigate the issues and determine if there is a scam and take appropriate action. The issue is that you cannot tell them what to do or what the best outcome is. Ideally they may shut the company down and confiscate any assets and distribute these to identifiable victims but there is certainly no guarantee it would come to that. Often the money has been moved or hidden elsewhere, abroad most likely, and may be difficult to trace. So I must say that it is not common for scam victims to recover all or even any of their money. It really depends on the scammers and how sophisticated their operation was, how clever they were with hiding and redistributing their money and assets, etc.

In the first instance you should report this to Action Fraud on 0300(###) ###-####or by visiting http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud. You may also report this to your local police station as they are capable of dealing with scam reports, although they will rarely get involved unless you have suffered any losses.

I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you