UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My philippina sister in law has just been refused a uk spouse

my philippina sister in law has just been refused a uk spouse visa today.the reason they give is that although my brother has the cash savings sum of over and above the £62,500 they want proof of bank statements for this sum for the last 6 months.he did submit bank statements for the 6 months for his pension income but as the large sum above is from redundancy 4 years ago and is invested in an ISA and stocks and shares,he only gets end of year statements(which he sent to the embassy)This lump sum is accessable any time he wants it so we don't know that the problem is.do you think he needs to state where the lump sum came from and show the money in the account 4 years ago,with proof from the bank to this effect.Your help would be much appreciated
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Yes, there is a requirement to show that the cash savings have been held in his bank account for the last 6 months.
I suggest that ask the entry clearance manager to reconsider the decision and show proof of how he got the money and how long he has held it for. He can show annual statements for the last 4 years if possible.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HI. THANK YOU OR YOUR REPLY. CAN YOU TELL ME, EVEN THOUGH THIS LUMP SUM IS INVESTED IN STOCKS AND SHARES AND AN ISA,AND MY BROTHER HAS IMMEDIATE ACCESS TO IT,DOES IT STILL COUNT AS CASH SAVINGS. REGARDS,SANDRA

If the money is tied up in stocks and shares, that is not regarded as cash. If the money is in a cash ISA, that is regarded as cash.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HI AGAIN. IF HIS NET INCOME IS £11,000 PER YEAR DO YOU KNOW THEN HOW MUCH IN SAVINGS IS NEEDED.THANK YOU.

His gross income is approximately £12500 so he will require about £31250 in cash savings.
You may use this online calculator to check the savings and income required
http://crossborderlegal.co.uk/content/spouse-visa-income-threshold-savings-calculator/
Please leave feedback
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

many thanks for that info.regards sandra