12826847

I don't have any debts but my husband has about £20,000 worth

Customer Question

I don't have any debts but my husband has about £20,000 worth of debts with credit cards which he is paying off gradually and he is 82 years old. If he should die, will I be responsible for his debts when he dies? Also, he has left a will to say that I should NOT be responsible for his debts, but I don't know whether that will be accepted in a court of law?
Can you answer these questions for me please.
You are not liable for his debts in any circumstances.
The only way it may affect you is that they would have a claim against his estate so it would reduce your inheritance. Also, if he does not continue paying then they could claim against any assets that you own jointly although your share of them would be ringfenced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just wanted to run this by you as you said that they could claim against his estate. The property we live in is in my name only so I don't think they can claim from him.

Would you clarify this for me?

They could argue he has an equitable share in it but they won't do that.
It is pretty rare that they ever get an order for sale of a dwelling property.