Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

My son had a carrot dangled in front of to enable him to buy

My son had a carrot dangled in front of to enable him to buy a motor bike. Like a fool he took it and is now in a situation that he is unable to pay back the money. What is his legal situation and can he hand over the motor bike because he cannot pay the money.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Is your son being charged interest on the loan?
How much is the bike worth if he sold it?
Did this person have any paper work when he made the loan?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi AJ

No there is no interest being charge on the loan and he has tried selling the bike for £7000 which it is worth. There was no paper work in the transaction and the money was transferred from bank to bank.

Delia

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Your son cannot just return the bike unless the lender is willing to accept it as payment for the loan.
Is the lender threatening to sue your son?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No she is not threatening any legal action and is all sugar sweet when my son keeps her informed but she is being malicious behind his back and this is causing problems with the business. She keeps saying to him that she understands the situation but would like some form of recommence on a regular basis which my son is unable to agree to. I understand how she feels and fully understand her reasoning but until he can sell the bike there is no possible chance of him giving the money back.

Delia

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
The main concern would be if she tries to sue your son, if she is not going to do that then she will just have to wait until the bike is sold. Otherwise in the mean time there is nothing your son can do but keep her informed.
The issue with your business is a separate one. This is potentially Defamation - you need her to stop bad mouthing your business. It might be worth firstly asking her to stop and if she does not get a local solicitor to send her a letter - if she sees the headed paper of a solicitor and that you have been advised and she might be sued, I am pretty sure she will stop defaming your business.
Are you in a dialogue with her?
AJ