Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

There I solda car privately via ebay. The car was sold

Hi there
I solda car privately via ebay. The car was sold as seen as as described in the listing. The buyer paid cash on collection. He fully inspected the car at the time of purchase and checked all the usual things, engine,oil, water, etc. the engine warning light was not on and there were no signs of any problems at all.
He was happy with the car and drove it away. we informed him at the time, the car had not been used since March as that is when the tax ran out, but he was still happy to drive it to Cardiff (approx 3 hours away).He paid £1350.00.He informed us at the time of purchase that he was sending the car on export to South Africa in a shipping container with other cars and it would be worth approx £6000 once over there.
Llater that evening(approx 6 hours after he left) I received a text saying the engine had just seized en route. Over the next couple of days I have received a number of emails stating there was a hole in the engine and oil was leaking out and that I knew of this at the time of sale. He had said it will cost £950.00 for a new engine and wants half of this from me.
In the whole time I have owned the car I have never had any problem with the car engine and althougfh not a mechanic Im sure the engine would not even start if it had a hole in it and was leaking oil. there was no sign of any oil leak on the ground where the car had been parked.
Im very concerned that he is trying to get money from me for a problem that does not exist. I have asked for pictures of the engine and a garage report on the damage. He also informed me that it was his friends gargae that looked at the car. he is yet to send any of the information I have asked for.
Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.
Best regards
Kelly Gillings
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
Has he threatened legal action?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He has stated that he has been to citizens advice and spoke to a solicitor, but he stared again in a recent email that he would like to sort it directly with me for both our benefits.

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
I think this is a try on as if he thought he had a case he would provide evidence and ask you to pay the entire cost.
The Sale of Goods Act does not apply to private car sales, the only obligations on the vendor are not to misrepresent the vehicle which does not seem to be the case.
You should firmly state that the car was sold as seen and you knew of no defects and nor has he proved any so you are not willing to pay.
If he does produce evidence you should then seek an opinion from a third party mechanic.
Do not pay him anything without him providing evidence.
If you have any further questions please do ask. iF I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.