Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

My husband was prescribed his usual anti cholesterol drug from

My husband was prescribed his usual anti cholesterol drug from his GP and was given anti depressants with a similar name by the Chemist.
We went on a cruise not realising this as the packets were labeled with the correctly prescribed drug.
After 6 days on our 10 year anniversary cruise my husband felt very ill with several side effects. On reading the leaflet accompanyingvthe tablets seeking advice in the circumstances, my husband realised the mistake. He subsequently stopped the tablets and consequently suffered discontinuation effects fir several days. Although this was extremely unpleasant, he didn't suffer long term problems as of today. Never the less the leaflet warned against taking this medication alongside other tablets or while suffering from otherconditions. This was unknown and could have been critical.
GP was informed on our return and logged an Incident. She contacted the pharmacy who immediately sent round the correct tablets through the door.
Can youadvise further action as this ruined our holiday and caused extreme stress to both of us
Kind regards ***** ***** ***@******.***
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
When did this occur and did you inform the pharmacist who dispensed the medicine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This happened on our Cruise 20June - 4July 2015

The GP called the Pharmacist at Medipharma Chemist 29 Oak Tree Lane Selly Oak Birmingham B29 6JE. Tel *********** /p>

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Ok it is the Pharmacist who is liable for the harm and for damages arising from this.
You should send a letter to the pharmacist setting out what happened and detailing your losses, you should ask them to inform their liability insurer of a claim.
If you have household insurance it is likely to include legal expenses insurance and you may be able to get a solicitor involved under this cover which would be of great assistance to you.
It is likely that the pharmacist will want to settle your claims out of court as this kind of incident should not occur.
You should not that incorrectly dispensing medicines is also a criminal offence and there is strict liability.
It will assist you if you have kept the box and label in tact as evidence of the incident.
I am sorry that this happened to you and it affected your holiday in this way.
If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.