Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I have done refurbishment in the house in 2013. And

I have done refurbishment in the house in 2013. And construction company is refusing to give me copies of the invoices.
What shall I do?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. what do you need the invoices for and why are they refusing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We want to keep for our records. All the payment went through our PA.We lost all the track of the payments and we need to clarify.

They only asking us why do we need invoices, thats all.

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
It is strange that they will not provide copy invoices as this is something they should be able to assist you with.
I would explain the reason that you need them and say you are prepared to pay postage charges etc or you can receive them via email.
If they continue to refuse there will not be much you can do about it.
Your PA should really have kept copies of them for your records.
If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your questions I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can report the company to the trading standards?

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Did they supply invoices originally? or are they just lost?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We never had all of them and our PA are no longer with us.

By low shouldnt they keep invoices for 7 years?

We spent a lot of money and we want to check against our bank account

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
To be clear are you saying they were never sent to your PA? If they were sent to your PA then they are not breaking any rules by failing to send copies.
If they never sent original versions then you can report them to Trading Standards as suggested.
They should keep invoices but are not legally obliged to send copies if you have already been sent them.
Honestly though, I think a phone call to explain the predicament may be enough to resolve this, say you are prepared to pay printing and postage costs for the copies.