Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I can not get any proper answer from Harveys the furniture

Customer Question

I can not get any proper answer from Harveys the furniture store about our relaxer chair which fell to pieces after less than 2yers they just tell me that I have to get somebody to came and have a look at it to se if it is wear and tear or a manufactures fault please can you put me on the right road to get some help thank you mrs Sylvia houlihan
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Have they offered to come and inspect the chair?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

they have not offered to come and have a look at the chair

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** Sale of Goods Act you are entitled to a repair or a replacement if the chair is not of satisfactory quality, if it is normal wear and tear then there is no obligation on the retailers part.
If it is your position that this is not normal wear and tear then I would suggest you contact trading standards to lodge a complaint and get a reference number to use on correspondence with the retailer, this will help them to see you are serious about your complaint.
You should also take photos of the damage to send with a letter to them.
You should then write to them to say you believe that the chair is not of satisfactory quality as you have the right to a repair or a replacement under the Sale of Goods Act and give them 14 days to come up with a satisfactory solution before you lodge a claim in the small claims court.
You should invite them to inspect the chair at your property if they wish.
If they do not come up with a solution then you can lodge a claim for the value of the chair in the small claims court.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.