75100385

I parked in the car park located under my friends

Customer Question

Hello, I parked in the car park located under my friends apartment in London. I parked in her space and she drove us to the airport. She is entitled to 1 visitor permit however her landlord had not yet sorted it. There was a sign clearly displayed stating the penalty should someone park there without a valid permit however I thought this would be ok as I was allowed by the tennant to park in her space. The car park is always half empty and as I was parked in her space I was not obstructing anyone who had a permit to park there. I was issued with 4 tickets over the time I was away totalling £400 (£240 if paid within 14 days). I feel this is extortionate and completely unfair considering the circumstances. Do I have any grounds to appeal to just pay for 1 charge rather than 4? Your help will be much appreciated.

Also I would like to add that I am £15k in debt and currently have no job so I can not afford these fines. Would that be considered to appeal for a reduction or at the very least a payment plan if all else fails?

Hello my name is ***** ***** is Alex and I will help you with this,
Is this a private firm who has issued these?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes UKPC is a private firm. I have since found out that it is UKPC who won't provide the visitor permit because the previous tenants did not return it and so they won't issue another one.

Regardless, I was in my friends parking space so hoping that can account for something?

My other friend also parked there and got the same fines because we didn't have a visitor pass. Can that be used for an appeal at all?

How much is being claimed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have 4 tickets. My friend has 4 tickets. They are £60 per ticket but that soon goes up to £100. This is a very slow way to converse. I couldn't afford to pay to speak with you live. I have also had some free advice from legal beagles website was jut hoping this way would be quicker but it seems it is slower
You dont have to pay ANY ticket. They are from a private company and therefore not binding in law. They would have to establish if there was a contract, whether you intended to form a legal relationsip, has there been a breach and if there is a loss.
Bearing in mind I am sure they offer free parking anyway, I cant see what their loss is.
In short the ticket is not enforceable.
I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?
If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alex,
What I don't understand is if they aren't enforceable then how do they act as a deterrent to stop people parking without a permit?
Thanks,
Kelly
Its current being decided by the Supreme Court. The current view it can't be enforced.
Private companies just try it on.
Does that help Kelly?