13262538

I have some questions about inheritance that I'm hoping someone

I have some questions about inheritance that I'm hoping someone can help with.
Several members of my family were contacted by an heir-hunting company who had identified us as relatives of someone whose estate was on the government's bona vacantia list. We agreed to allow the company to act on our behalf in claiming the estate but they've now told us that the estate has been claimed by another company, with whom they've made contact. Of course they haven't revealed that company's details to us. Whilst I don't begrudge either company payment for the work they've done (we wouldn't have known about the estate but for their intervention), I would like to establish the facts independently, since so far we've taken them on trust. Luckily I have the BV reference and I can see from the published BV lists that the estate was indeed claimed a few months ago.
My questions are:
Is there any way to establish who claimed the estate? I've contacted the Bona Vacantia service via email a couple of times but have had no response, even to a very general enquiry.
When the estate is disbursed, is there any form of documentation I should expect or ask for, in order to verify that the amount distributed is in fact the amount of the estate?
Is there any obligation on the company we're in contact with to put ourselves and the company that holds the estate into direct contact if we request this, either by providing us with that company's details or by providing our details to them?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nicola,

I realise my questions are perhaps a little out of the ordinary. I'm happy to continue waiting for at least another week to see if anyone can assist.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked to see if Letters of Administration have been granted - and obtained copies if they had
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Clare,

Thanks for your help. I don't know if the Letters of Authority have been granted. I can ask the company that I'm dealing with to confirm whether that's the case, but I'm having to deal with them in writing so it takes a while to get a response. Is there anything further you'd like me to find out at the same time?

Regards,

Derek

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Further information provided as requested.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Clare - I've relisted this question as it was closed while you were offline.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the delay
You can find out whether or not letters of Administration have been granted using the service here
https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate
When the estate is distributed you should receive a set of estate accounts which you can check to ensure a proper division has occurred
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Clare,

That's very helpful, thank you.

Since the company I'm in contact with isn't the one that's now dealing with the estate, is there any obligation for them to put us in contact with each other? Would you expect that the company that distributes the estate will contact me directly, or through the intermediary?

Also, I appreciate that it can sometimes take a long time to handle probate, but are there any statutory limits on how long this can take, now that the estate has been claimed from the BV list?

I hope you can answer these last two points but I'm very happy with your advice so far, and I'll rate your assistance accordingly. Thank you again for your help.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
No there is no obligation for them to do so
The Person dealing with the estate will have to ocntact you at some point - and if the only information they have is the Company who approached you then it will be through them.
There is no set time limit - but a year should be ample
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.