UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My sisters will bequeaths £10,000 each to her 4 brothers out

my sisters will bequeaths £10,000 each to her 4 brothers out of a possible £90,000 after the sale of her park home. Any residual money left after paying for the funeral, solicitors charges etc. is to be split equally between 5 charities. The solicitor says there is a limit on how much we can spend on the funeral as the " charities wont like it".
My question is , Have the charities a right to say how much we can spend on the funeral
and determind how much of my sisters money they can claim. No figure was stated for the charities.
Norman
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
If the Will does not limit the funeral expenses and legal costs, as long as these are reasonable, the charities will not be in a position to challenge the Will, whether they like it or not.
It is unlikely that the charities will resort to legal action in any event as the amounts involved are not that high and the charities will likely incur more legal costs than the residual amounts left to them.
Hope this helps