Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Dear Expert, please could you give me a second opinion. During

Dear Expert, please could you give me a second opinion. During the sale of my mother's house, after exchange but on the day she was to sign for completion (a week before the completion date), she died suddenly. My solicitors have been as quick and efficient as possible with getting Probate but it did delay the completion by 10 days. (We had to wait the minimum time of 14 days for Probate). However the buyer's solicitors have charged interest on the full amount of the sale price @4.5%, a total of £671.90. The buyers were not in a chain or will not be moving in immediately, as had renovations planned.
My solicitors asked their solicitors if they really wanted to apply this interest due to the moral circumstances of the situation but they have! I know that it was written into the contract but if I took this to the Legal Ombudsman are there any grounds that could help me to reclaim this interest?
I look forward to your opinions.
Yours, Chris
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I am afraid there is nothing you can do and there is no point in you wasting your time with the Legal Ombudsman, as the Buyers have acted in accordance with the terms of the Sale Contract.

I agree that it is pretty shocking- I would have understood if the Buyers had had a related sale and needed to move into temporary accomodation, but this wasn't the case.

I am sorry I can't say anything more positive, but your Solicitor is 100% correct.

Kind Regards

Al