75100385

I own a pick up truck which I purchased in April 2014,

Customer Question

Hi, I own a pick up truck which I purchased in April 2014, I was having a few problems with the engine, so I took it to a mechanic to fix. After first inspection he said it would take around two weeks to fix. He has now had the pick up from May 2014 to date!! He keeps telling me he only has a few bits more to do, but he has been saying this a long time. I called into his garage to see the pick up, there has been progress but to my untrained eye it looks like there is still a good bit to do.
I run a landscaping business and I used the pick up daily along with a second van. I feel I can't wait any longer and not sure what the best course of action is and where I stand legally,
Any advice would be a great help, thanks
Ryan
Hello Ryan my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Will he let you get a second opinion of the vehicle?
Have you seen that he actually still has it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes he def still has it, he assures me he can fix it, I have gave him the opportunity to admit defeat and I would get someone else to do it.
Ok. You need to write and ask him to complete repairs within 14 days or say you will come and pick the vehicle up.
Once you have done that then you can get it repaired somewhere else. You will need to get a second opinion on the vehicle to see whether the work done to date is reasonable and required.
But he can't refuse to give it back after 14 days, its your property!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Who takes on the costs of moving the car to another garage? Will I owe him money for an incomplete job. If he has damaged the car is he liable ?
You need to get a second opinion on the total cost of repair.
Lets assume that is £1500.
If the old mechanic charges you £1000 for the work done to date and it costs you £250 to move it to a move garage and another £750 to get it fixed with the new one that is a total cost of £2000.
The second opinion is £2000 and therefore then old mechanic would owe you £500.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The car is currently not drive able and I would have no way of moving it in its current state
You would have to get it moved using a contractor which has a tow truck or loader.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try what you have suggested and see what happens from there , thanks for your help
Good luck with this.
If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.