Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Thompson solicitors acting on behalf of Unison have given me

Thompson solicitors acting on behalf of Unison have given me an offer from South Lanarkshire Council and advised me to accept but it's about 1/3 of what I was expecting based on the settlement figures other members of staff doing the same job got from Fox and Cross. I am just looking for equality and feel that we are getting pressured to accept this low offer, not sure what I can do but have rejected it.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Can you explain the circumstances leading to the offer of settlement?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Council finally admitted that they had underpaid care workers on the same grade as mainly male dominated jobs such as gardeners and refuge collectors and the employees that put the original claims in with Fox and Cross solicitors were paid large sums, the Unison union urged the rest of the staff to claim using their lawyers (Thompson's) and we have been advised to accept the offer from Council. The council say that they used the same calculations as before but we know that these offers are very low comparing to what earlier claiments received. The council refuse to discuss how they calculated these figures !
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am sorry for the delay. would you still like help with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes as the council are still refusing to discuss exactly how they calculated the figure that they have offered.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi I would suggest you contact the council Freedom of Information officer, you should be able to get the details from the main phone number.
You can put a request in under the freedom of Information act for the figures paid out previously. This will not identify individuals. The employer, as a public authority will have to comply with the request.
This should give you the information you need to make an informed decision whether or not to settle for the offered amount.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.