12826847

Last January (2014) my brother died. He was an alcoholic and

Customer Question

Last January (2014) my brother died. He was an alcoholic and would have been homeless had it not been for the kindness of a friend. After his death my sister and I searched for a will. We contacted a previous partner who said there must have been a will but she didn't know what had happened to it. She assured us that all was finished between them and gave us the name of the solicitor who had made the will and had drawn up the document that dissolved their liaison. I rang the solicitor twice and they told me that they had no knowledge of my brother. As a result I took on the job of sorting out my brothers estate. The estate was finalised in October after the appropriate notices had been posted in the London Gazette. This march I received a letter from the solicitor I had contacted the previous year stating that the lady we had spoken to had now found a will and had realised that there were assets. Don't the solicitors have to keep records of their clients. My brothers name should have appeared twice in the firms records. At the moment the solicitor in question glosses over the matter by telling my solicitor that they don't think that fact is relevant! They are reluctant to let us have any details of either document and now are intent on recovering money from me and the other beneficiaries. Can a solicitor refuse to disclose information or do I have to take action against them - after all if the documents aren't relevant why won't they release them? I'd be grateful for any advice Maggie XXX

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

please continue your search.

Maggie

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please cancel the question
Maggie