Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

My wife is buying a new house from a reputable builder/ developer. when

My wife is buying a new house from a reputable builder/ developer.
when she viewed the house the internet advertised price was GBP 840k.
Immediately after the viewing the builder's agent showed a price list with the house at GBP 870k. The agent claimed there was a mistake and they were slow to change the internet price.
Is my wife entitled to buy at the lower price ?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
I am afraid she cannot force the builder (or agent) to honour the lower price. The disposition of all property and land must be completed in writing under S.2 of Law of Property (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1989. The price would have been advertised subject to contract. So until they would have agreed a written contract the price and sale was all assumed to be "subject to contract".
Simply viewing the house is not sufficient to insist that they honour that price.
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

AJ

thank you for that reply - its clear.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
No problem.
If you think the estate agent is doing this deliberately and you have wasted money and expense pursuing the deal then and I would make a complaint to Trading Standards.
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think it was laziness and incompetence on the part of the agent, who I expect received a bollocking from the developer for allowing 2 prices to be active at the same time.

alan

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
On that basis, really it is the agent who has committed an unfavourable sales practice. www.tradingstandards.uk/ - You can complain to Trading Standards here if you want to take it any further.
AJ