29905560

Late last year I signed up electrical course. I had 14

late last year I signed up for a electrical course. I had 14 days after sighing to cancel the monthly direct debit. Due to a change of circumstances on my part I never started the course and don't attempt to do so. 1)Can I at the very least stop the monthly payment and what would be the best way forward to do so? 2) Is it possible to get the money debited back?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you been paying the monthly payments for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

six or seven months now.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
If you had signed up for the course you would have entered into a legally binding contract. If you had the opportunity to cancel it within a specified period of time then you should have done so. Failure to do so and not advising them of the cancellation in time could mean you have committed for the course duration. Even if you did not get the training you paid for, the provider would have not known you cancelled and would not have been expected to take steps to minimise their losses, such as to get a replacement in time. As you are paying by direct debit you can cancel that through your bank at any time. They may get upset by this but your argument would be that as you are not getting any benefit from the course and they are not having extra expenses by you not attending, by cancelling you are not really changing their position much. In terms of getting back money already paid that could be difficult. They would have to agree to do so and in the circumstances I would say that is probably unlikely. If they refuse then the only way to try and get it back is to go to court but you may wish to consider if that is worth it. You have to pay claim and court fees and there is no guarantee you would win. They could also try and counter sue you for your breach of contract in cancelling the course halfway through and after the official cancellation period. So see this as a way of terminating future payments rather than a way to get the money back you have already paid. I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im happy to cancel my direct debit only. what is my legal stance and what do you think they can do legally once I cancel the direct debit since as you say I entered a legally binding contract?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
They could pursue you for the remainder but they would need to show they have suffered losses. You could just cancel it and hope they do not notice or better you could tell them you are cancelling and that gives them the opportunity to find a replacement and minimise their losses. To pursue you they would need to take you to court and not many companies would do that as it costs them and takes up a lot of time. But no one can guess which route they will go down to, so there will always be some risk
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'