UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My university paid back my tuition fee to the approved sponsor

Customer Question

My university paid back my tuition fee to the approved sponsor for the year 2013/2013. I did not request this and nor was I informed. The sponsor had paid the full amount for the year. The uni erroneously returned the money after the end of that academic year. The related regulation is this:
H3.1 "Agreement by the university to accept payment of any part of a tuition fee from a sponsor does not extinguish a student's liability to pay a fee, which shall only terminate when payment is received from sponsor."
The university received full payment and on time. For this reason I believe that I do not owe them anything. Am I correct?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
I agree with your interpretation of the applicable regulation which clearly states that your liability to pay the fee terminates (ends) when the university receives funds from a sponsor.
The moment the university received the funds from your sponsor, your liability to pay the fee ended under the above regulation and it is not your problem that the university returned the money to the sponsor.
Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What would you suggest that I do next? I have made my position clear with the university but they insist that I am still liable. Unless I pay by the end of this August they will not let me graduate. I need to graduate as a condition of my employment.

Thanks,

I would suggest that you get a solicitor to write them a letter and threatening them with legal action if they do not let you graduate.
Alternatively, you may wish to contact the sponsor yourself and explain the problem and see if the sponsor is willing to return the money back to the university or channel it through you to the university.
Hope this helps