12826847

My 23 year old son is very intelligent and able but has Asperger's

Customer Question

My 23 year old son is very intelligent and able but has Asperger's and complex psychiatric difficulties. He lives at home, pays no rent, refuses to work or help around the house. He cannot claim disability benefit as he has no visible disabilities. He becomes agressive and defiant whenever I try to discuss the prospect of him getting a job. He is too much for me to cope with (my husband, his father, left 2 years ago). I want him to move out but I don't know how to achieve this.
Has he ever paid rent?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, he paid £50 a month for about 6 months 2 years ago
Has he always lived there throughout?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes he has
He is arguably a guest rather than a tenant but I would treat him as a tenant. He has paid some rent at least at some point and so probably would be a tenant.
You need to give him written notice of no less than 28 days giving him a specific date upon which to leave. Let that notice expire. If he does not go at that time then you are perfectly free to just wait until he goes out and then change the locks after him and leave his goods somewhere safe for him to collect.
He is a lodger and they are easy to evict.