75100385

After funding 5 years of private school I made a verbal agreement

After funding 5 years of private school I made a verbal agreement with my ex-wife to fund the last 2 years of my daughters 6th form private school fees. She has borrowed £15000 on her mortgage for the 1st year and I had agreed to pay the second year. I now have some financial difficulty and have asked for he to help pay a loan I will have to take out. I have saved £5000 and proposed to take a loan for £10000 and we share the payments (I currently pay her £2300 per month as divorce settlement and have asked for £145 deduction for the loan for 3 years). She has refused and has written to me threatening to sue for the £15000 (as my daughter would have to start elsewhere from the beginning), associated costs, interest, child benefit, damages for emotional stress & 1 terms notice fees. Is a verbal agreement binding or should I contest this?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Yes the verbal agreement is binding. Any agreement made verbally is a legal contract, like if you go into a local shop and make a purchase. its not written but binding. The same applies here.
So yes a verbal agreement is binding.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Alex, so even though I am in financial difficulty I am liable? Just one small point other point, is there a difference between agree and intend? Thanks Bob

Sadly if there was a verbal agreement then yes. Is there a difference between an agreement and intent. Yes. An intend is that you are minded to do something, an agreement is where you have confirmed you will do something.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex, very helpful thanks. Bob

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.