I am an american citizen who is married to and american citizen and we have two children (21yrs and 19yrs) - the 21yr old is an american citizen and 19yr old was an american citizen but took up british citizenship about a year ago. We all live in the UK now and have done for the past 20yrs albeit on VISAS.
I also have four sisters who have british citizenship. My husband works for the USA but we have have lived in the UK for the past 20yrs and we also have a house here which we own.
My husband is 64 and just about to be made redundant from working with Lockheed and with the US Government here in England, however, we wan't to remain in the UK as a family.
To all intents and purposes I am british as I have lived here most of my life and apart from my father (american) all my ancestors are british. Furthermore, all my family with the exception of my husband have english accents.
I have applied for UK Citizen before but it was refused as they have told me that me and my family live in the UK under the a visa called "Residence Permits" which require renewing every 5 years or termination of employment whichever is the sooner.
Please advise me if I am entitled to apply for UK Citizenship or indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the UK?
SUMMARY OF FACTS:
1. I am 55 yrs old and lived for 45 of those years in the UK and only 10yrs in the USA.
2. My birth mother is british but took up US Nationality when she married my father who was serving with the US Army in the UK at the time.
3. My father and mother (now both deceased) retired in the UK when my father left the military and stayed in the UK for over 50yrs until they died, however, they never gave up their USA Passports mainly because they didn't see a need.
4. I moved to the UK from the USA when I was only 5yrs old - I was educated in the UK and indeed worked in the UK and paid UK taxes and NHI from the age of 16yrs to 21yrs old.
5. I have 4 sisters who live here in the UK and they have all taken up british citizenship through marriage to british citizens.
6. My daughter was born in the UK - she is now 19yrs old and she took up british citizenship about a year ago. She will be going to University in Birmingham UK in Sep of this year.
7. My son who is 21yrs still has american citizenship but he has lived in the UK most of his life and sounds english and works in the UK. He will be taking the test of eligibility to live in the UK later this year.
8. My husband and I own a house here in the UK which still has a small mortgage with 5yrs left to run.
9. All my ancestors with the exception of my father were british.
10. My husband who is 64yrs old is being made redundant from his work here in the UK in Sep of this year and as a result all of our visas will be cancelled and as such we would be expected to return to the USA. This would be a disaster for us as all my family live in the UK. Also my daughter will be going to university in the UK in Sep 15 and she is dependent on us.
11. My family and I want to remain in the UK for the remainder of our lifes!
12. Surely there must be some ruling under UK Immigration Laws that entitles me and my family to british citizenship. With the exception of my husband we have all lived here most of our lives.
Your kind and expert assistance in this urgent and distressing matter is most appreciated.