12826847

If you are convicted at a crown court, how much of your assets

Customer Question

If you are convicted at a crown court, how much of your assets are likely to be taken?
Also i part own another house with 2 other people. If I got convicted would I still own my part of the house?
What is the offence please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a sexl offence , which is currently being investigated.
Ok.
Why should your assets be taken?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was told assets taken to pay for the court costs as if you have over a certain amount of money?
Are you unable to pay court costs?
Also, I notice you have not yet left feedback for my previous answer so I wonder if you could do that now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well I have quite a lot of assets, so can they be used to pay for court costs
This will only be an issue if you fail to pay court costs.
If you go to court and lose and costs are awarded against you then you will be given time to pay. Actually if you get a custodial sentence then costs will not be awarded against you. They are not always even for non custodial sentences.
If you do not pay then the court could despatch bailiffs to seize your goods but that is only at the end of a very long period of time.
This isn't a proceeds of crime matter. They will not start seizing property.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also I mentioned I own a property with 2 other people. If I get a custodial sentence are the other 2 people able to get my name removed from the ownership of the property? I presume I would need to appoint a power of attorney to look after my finances?
That is not really my area but I wouldn't have thought so. The fact that you are in prison wouldn't affect your rights to own property.
Although you would probably need to ask a property specialist about that.