29905560

Some weeks ago all of my immediate colleagues came to me one

Some weeks ago all of my immediate colleagues came to me one by one telling me that there had been a complaint made against me by my line manager and each of them had been interviewed as part of the investigation. Obviously I couldn’t ask the company or HR any questions because I didn’t want to get any of them into trouble. Last Thursday evening I tried to trick the general manager and his assistant to admit that there had been a complaint against me, but all they would admit was that there is an ongoing investigation due to an allegation having been made and they could tell me no more than that. They never said it was anything against me, but their reaction made it very clear.
I have worked at the company for four and a half years and have never had anything like this happen to me before, so I’m a at a bit of a loss as to what to do.
There is a lot more to this than just an allegation being made. I know who made the allegation, why the allegation was made, roughly when the allegation was made, why the person investigating should have passed this case to a different investigator to prevent a bias outcome. In fact only thing I don’t know is what exactly is contained in the allegation.
My shift starts at 3pm today but I really don’t know what to do. Should I even still be at work when I know I’m being investigated? Should I be suspended or should I demand they come out and tell me what is going on? Can you help?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. If a complaint has been made against you there is no requirement for the employer to tell you of this straight away. They would initially be expected to investigate the complaint before deciding on whether to take the matter further. If they decide to do so then you would usually be taken through a disciplinary and given the chance to defend yourself. Only once a disciplinary is going ahead would you have the right to be officially told about the complaint and given details of it. The fact you know a complaint has been made is not ideal but the employer has not really done anything wrong by not telling you yet. There is also no requirement for you to have been suspended, that is an option for the employer but not a necessity.
So at this stage do not panic. Just go about your normal working life as usual and leave this in the employer’s hands. They will finish the investigation and decide on what to do next. They could simply drop this as they feel there is no evidence or no grounds to take it further. If they decide to go further with it they could start a disciplinary procedure and that is when you would have the right to be officially told about the allegations and be given sight of any evidence, allowing you to defend yourself.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'