75100385

I attended an evening course at a local college in Auto cad

I attended an evening course at a local college in Auto cad last year. The standard of the teaching was poor (non existent), they just handed out booklets and expected you to get on with working through them. There were no explanations / ohps etc. I attended a handful of lectures then left and bought a teach yourself book.
The college have been phoning me chasing me for the full course fees and threatening debt recovery soliciters.
where do i stand?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Did you ever write and make a formal complaint?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have spoken to the department on the phone and explained why I retracted form the course. They said that this wasn't satisfactory and were handing the case to a debt recovery solicitor.

I didn't write to them though, no.

Did you say why you retracted BEFORE you left? How much is owing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I didn't.
It's £350 owing.
I did offer to pay a pro-rata amount.
Why didnt you inform anyone before you quit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had a lot going on at the time. I slipped two discs in my back that required surgery. I got married the following month. I started a new job. Then I broke my right leg. To be honest it wasn't at the forefront of my thoughts.
A debt collector I wouldn't worry about. Against you is the fact that you just left and didn't tell them why, when reasonably you could have done. Then it would have been a matter of record that you thought the course and teaching was poor as opposed to just not being bothered to continue,
For you is the fact the teaching was poor and you could say that they are in breach of section 13 of the sale and supply of goods and services act by failing to act with all reasonable skill and care.
However they want the money from you, so you are in a strong positiobn. If the debt recovery writes you can write back and explain the position, therefore you don't have to Pay.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your advise

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.