12826847

I have received two NIP letters from Cumbria police regarding

I have received two NIP letters from Cumbria police regarding speeding at 80 mph on the M6 motorway. These occurred on the same day on the southbound carriageway 50 minutes apart. Will they be regarded as two separate offences?
Yes, they will I'm afraid.
You could try to argue that it was one continuous act of speeding but I wouldn't advise it. Nobody has ever brought that challenge but the trouble is that it would support a charge of driving without due care rather than just speeding if the speeding was that prolonged.
It is possible that they may take the view that it is not in the public interest to prosecute both although you cannot rely on that.
I'm very sorry if that is bad news.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a clean driving licence of just under 50 years. Could I be offered a speed awareness course on the first offence?If so, will that automatically mean points on the second?
It depends if they know about the second matter.
In principle their policy is that the speed awareness course is only available if a person has no points and none pending but they can disapply that when it suits them.
If they do offer the course for the first matter then it would just be 3 points and a fine for the second.