29905560

I appear to have been black-listed by the builders' fraternity.

I appear to have been black-listed by the builders' fraternity. This extends from Architects down to painters and decorators. It is now impossible for me to obtain repairs or new work to my house.
I do not owe any money and have had only minor disputes with the builder who constructed my property and these have been settled reasonably amicably. Can you advise me on what action I should take.
R.C.L.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what you were hoping to do about this?
Sorry if I'm missing the point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was hoping to get services restored to my property. Being blacklisted means, for example, If get a burst pipe this winter there will be no one

to repair it.

I thought you might know of some regulatory body or association to whom I could remonstrate.

If I knew what to do I would not be seeking advice.

I would rate your answer as being not very helpful so far.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
As you are displeased at this stage I'm afraid I will not be able to continue.
Opting out.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and as my colleague has decided not to continue assisting in this case I would like to take over if you still need help?
If you do, can you please let me know why you think you have been blacklisted?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ben Jones,

I have no idea why.

The builder who constructed this estate is very unpopular with the owners as there have been many problems with the houses - which cost on average £1M. I have personally paid over £6,000. rectifying faults.

Perhaps disgruntled owners have been too vociferous in their condemnation of him.

Ron

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
The problem ku will face is that what they have done is not unlawful. Being blacklisted and being refused the use of their services is not illegal. There is no legal right to receive the services of builders or traders and if they wanted to they could refuse to provide their services to you. No one can force them to work for you. If I was a builder I could be selective with who I work with and I am entirely free to choose that I do not want to do work with you. So the fact that you are blacklisted and cannot obtain the services of these tradesmen is not unlawful. It is morally wrong but that is very different to it being unlawful.
If any of the traders are members of professional organisations, such as the Guild of Master Craftsmen (http://www.guildmc.com/) you could also complain to them but it would not change the legal position above.
I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For Ben Jones,

Are you saying that he may legally 'circularise' everyone in the building trade and recommend that they do not deal with me ? Is this not

libelous ?.

If it is my builder, he must be giving a false reason for my exclusion and this is unlawfully destroying my character. Surely this is actionable.

Ron.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You did not respond to my note of 23 July 2015 11.22.

Please do so then I will be able to, rate you.

Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You still have not replied to my question 23 July 2015 11.22.

This is the third attempt. If you do not have an answer please say so and I will rate you accordingly.

Thanks and regards.

Ron.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry I was offline by the time you had replied and have only just returned as I was away for the weekend. It is not illegal for someone to contact other colleagues and tell them not to deal with you. That is not libel - libel is if someone makes a false statement about you, but simply asking someone not to deal with you is not making a statement about you. He may not actually be giving a reason, he may just be asking them not to deal with you. If he is giving them a reason then you must first find out what that is before you can decide if it is defamatory. Even if it is, such claims are very expensive to make, at least £15,000 if not more and they will also not make anyone deal with you - they compensate for the defamatory statement but it does not mean that they will now deal with you, they can still continue refusing to work with you regardless of what the outcome of a defamation claim is.
Hope this clarifies?
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'