75100385

In 2010 a firm of builders converting a hay loft into a dwelling,

In 2010 a firm of builders converting a hay loft into a dwelling, connected the water supply to this property to my water supply but close to my water meter, which is not on my property..
My water meter is on another road from my property and about 1/4 mile traveling by car.
I took this up with my water supply company in 2010 telling them of this illegal connection, but they did nothing. I complained again in 2012 and refused to pay my water bill and still they have done nothing.
I formally complained to the Water Council about my water supplier and also informed them of the fact, that apart from paying for my own water, I am also paying for the water usage of the other property.
My water supply company have now supplied and fitted a water meter to the other property, but it still feeds through my water pipes. The water company's idea is to take the other properties water reading off mine and I will be invoiced for the difference, which I do not agree with.
I have requested my own water meter be fitted within the grounds of my property, and not 1/4 mile away, which they are disagreeing with.
Their excuse is they will not be able to find the plastic water pipes within my property to connect too.
I asked them why I had been paying for 'HomeServe' for the past 5 years, a service to sort out burst and leaking pipes within my property, if there is no way of finding them - I said this is obtaining money by deception, they replied with no answer. I have now canceled my direct debit and made a formal complaint to 'HomeServe'
I need to know whose responsibility is this illegal connection of this main water supply pipe to my main system and what avenue's are open to me, to finally get this put right.
Thank you for reading
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please carry on trying to obtain expert opinion.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK Many thanks

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can close this question and return your good faith deposit to the original funding source on request.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nicola

I really would like to find the answers

My main questions are

1, Was it illegal for the builder contractor to connect to my main water supply without my knowledge or that of the water supply company and who is responsible?

2, Has 'Homeserve' taken money by deception if they would be unable to fulfill the insurance by not being able to trace the water pipes underground?

Can you see if anyone can answer these questions here in the UK

Robert

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
What is it you want to achieve please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alex

My main questions are

I look forward to hearing from you

Best regards

Robert

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
1) No it was not. You are only liable for sums used, not what other people are using. The water company must be informed and consent.
2) I don't think so although you may have a claim for a refund.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alex

Neither the Water Company nor I had any idea that the contractors had connected to my mains water supply, which is why I wanted to know if this was an illegal act.

The water company are being extremely difficult about providing me with my own, non shared water supply like I had when I purchased the property.

Don't I have any recourse at all?

Best regards

Robert

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
1) Yes it is illegal.
2) You can sue for negligence.
Does that help?
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience