12826847

I spoke with Jo over the weekend regarding an allegation of

Customer Question

I spoke with Jo over the weekend regarding an allegation of theft that was made against me. Circumstances have now changed and I would now like further advice if possible please?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How can I help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jo, I spoke to you over the weekend regarding the missing money of £700 from the school safe at the school that I recently resigned from.
I have spoken to the headteacher on Monday, that reported the matter to the police and have the following update:
She spoke with a police officer on Friday for about 2 hours
The office took away a copy of the financial investigation report and has said that they will want to interview the head of finance at the council, the headteacher and the person that carried out the finance investigation. The matter will now be passed to CID.
The report does not state that they think I stole the money, it does not just name be, it names other members of the senior management team in a general context. However it does ultimately find that I was grossly negligent. I don't think it actually states this in the report because the headteacher said she did not know about the gross negligence finding.
I can not see that there is any evidence against me because 7 other people had access to the safe.
My questions are:
Will the police be able to arrest me if I am only 1 of 8 people that had access to the safe? I understand that they may still want to question me, but will they talk to the other people too?
If the finance team point the finger at me, is that not slander?
Will the police even investigate this matter with so many people in the frame?
Can you also please note that I do not want my questions to go onto your website because I could be identified from this and my previous questions.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
They will probably make an appointment for you to attend voluntarily but they are likely to want to talk to all of you on this evidence.
No, it is not slander. It depends. Making a false allegation can be defamation but only if it can be proven to be untrue which is always difficult. That is why people get away with making false claims of rape all the time.
Yes, they will investigate.
All posts are public and can be viewed by anybody although you are anonymous. I can ask customer services to remove it but only after you have finished and rated as it will otherwise lock the question.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
If I am called in for voluntary questioning do I still take a solicitor with me?
Will they use the work financial report? I thought it was not relevant and would not be used?
Will they question all of us as part of the investigation?
If head of finance says she thinks it was me due to the gross negligence, will they focus only on me?
What other evidence would they be looking for?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, have a solicitor.
They will only rely on the financial report if it is direct evidence.
As I have said they will probably question everybody and they will not have any interest in gross negligence.
They would consider any evidence placed before them. It is impossible to tell what that might be. Usually paper trails, work records etc. There is always a paper trail with money.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for the advice. Could you please arrange for my questions to be confidential and not be seen on your website as discussed.
Thanks again
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I will ask.