LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Good Morning All, recently my solicitors was taken over by

Good Morning All, recently my solicitors was taken over by a bigger firm who have previously advised my opponent (although they do not represent him now). I have paid on going fees for the last 12 month while my case was being prepared. I am now being told they can't represent me any longer. The solicitor acting for me no longer works at either firm. Where can I go with ??
Kind Regards Peter
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a lawyer with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
The merged law firm will need to stop acting for you because they have a clear potential (at least) conflict of interest.
You will need to find a new firm. There is no reason why you can not instruct your old solicitor if you can find him. In fact to ensure continuity and avoid duplication it might be a good idea. Don't the firm know where he is? You can try this link to try and trace him. You can search by individual solicitors' name http://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/
I hope I have answered your question but please ask further questions if you need more information.