LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

If a person's will specifies that their eastate is to be divided

If a person's will specifies that their eastate is to be divided equally between their three children then what happens if one of the children predeceases the person? Does their prtion get split between the other two surviving children or does it got the the deceased chil's wife and family (the grand children( or what?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
If the will has been drafted even remotely competently then it will have a provision covering this eventuality. Do yo have a copy of the will? The usual provision would be for the deceased offspring's share to go to their children in equal shares, with a trust provision for if they are minors at the time of the death of the will maker.