31090051

I live 7n scotland, have I a claim on my common law husbands

Customer Question

I live 7n scotland, have I a claim on my common law husbands estate
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Can you explain your situation a little more and I will help you with this. I am a solicitor in Scotland.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My partner died on 8th may this year, he was divorced has 2 daughters, we had been together for only 1 year, his daughters are his heirs, he has a considerable works pension, I want to know if I have a claim on this, I have emails and texts where he refers to me as his wife
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Both his dauguters are adults the elder is dealing with all business, she has appointed a lawyer
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
The first thing you have to know is that common law marriage was abolished in Scotland in 2006.
You only have a claim on your partner's estate if:
1. He provided for you in a will.
2. He nominated you to get his pension or the pension trustees permit this.
3. The court awards you a capital payment from his estate under section 29 of the Family Law (Scotland) Act 2006. You only have six months to make a claim for this.
For the foregoing reasons you should see a solicitor face to face immediately to discuss these options.
Happy to discuss. I will be back online later.