29905560

I am currently the victim of malicious emails from an anonymous

I am currently the victim of malicious emails from an anonymous re-mailer from someone apparently within my company, sending alleged information of an affair between myself and a work colleague to his soon-to-be divorced wife. This person has inside information about my whereabouts and has also sent on my home address. This is impacting my ability to do my job and causing me considerable stress, but i feel powerless to do anything about it. I would like to understand what options are open to me
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you know who may be responsible?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have only suspicion. Nothing I could hang my hat on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To be honest, one of the most damaging things about this situation is that I suspect everyone. Even people I think of as friends.
The main issue with dealing with this is that you simply do not know who is sending these emails so to get the ball rolling would be rather difficult. If you knew who was behind this then you could make a complaint to your employer and let them investigate this and take appropriate action. This could include disciplining and even dismissing the perpetrators because this is tantamount to bullying and could also be a breach of trust and confidence. However, without knowing who is responsible it would be very difficult for the employer to do anything. It certainly does not stop you from initiating a complaint by raising a formal grievance, but then it is in the hands of the employer. They would be required to investigate the allegations you have made but they are only expected to conduct a reasonable investigation and that would not include a forensically complex investigation to try and work out who sent the emails. So do not necessarily expect them to get to the bottom of this. An alternative before you make the complaint to the employer is to employ a computer expert yourself to see if they could try and trace the origin of the emails. There are ways to do this by tracing their IP address although it may not necessarily lead you to an individual if they were sent from work servers from example. However, it is an option you could try first. A last resort option if you do not believe you can continue working there is to resign and leave this employer but it is really something to be pursued if you feel you cannot continue working there as a result. I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you