Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Out of the blue I have received a demand from debt collectors

Out of the blue I have received a demand from debt collectors "past due credit solutions" chasing £5500 for tax credit overpayments from 2002/2003 which I strongly dispute. I have written to HMRC asking for substantiation which I believe may take quite a while to respond.
In the meantime PDCS are insisting I either pay in full or set up a payment plan which I am not willing to do.
Can they still chase the debt after 6 years.
Please advise
Stuart
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Is this the first you have heard of this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes just come out of the blue
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
So are you disputing the tax credit overpayment entirely?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes when we did receive tax credits we always notified them of any change in circumstances even when we separated and divorced
So yes fully dispute
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
so you have never received a demand from HMRC directly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't recollect ever doing but it is 13 years ago
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi great that has covered everything.
This debt is covered by the limitation Act.
You can ignore the demands completely.
Do not acknowledge the debt at all.
Details can be found on the following link which you may like to send to the debt collector.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/dmbmanual/dmbm595080.htm
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so do I just ignore the debt collectors or contact them advising them I am not prepared to acknowledge the debt and of the limitations act
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Either is fine.
I would ignore for now and if they send more letters contact them to ask them to stop quoting the Limitation Act.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your questions I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer thank you and all the best.