Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

My daughter has had a terrible reference from the new headmistress

My daughter has had a terrible reference from the new headmistress at her school. The head was only in her job for a few months and my daughter was on her first teaching job since qualifying. The email was sent at 2 o'clock on a sunday morning. This has really knocked my daughter's confidence and I am worried about her.
Thanks,
Andrea Goodenough
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. I am sorry your daughter has experienced this. Please can I ask you what you would like to know about this situation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is she able to make some sort of formal complaint about this woman?

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Yes potentially, is she still employed by the school? Has the headteacher said anything untrue in the reference?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No she is not employed any more at the school. I am not sure about the exact details of the reference but on the whole it was an attack against my daughter and her work, an observation of a lesson only lasted ten minutes. It was sent in the early hours of Sunday morning, I wonder if she was drunk!

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Is this a State School run by a Local Authority?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Ok I would suggest she contact the HR representative within the LEA to ask for support in this issue.
If the Reference is factually incorrect, i.e it actually says something untrue rather than a simple opinion then she should tell the HR representative that she considers it to amount to a negligent misstatement and if the reference is not rectified and she suffers a loss (through other schoools declining to employ her) then she will bring a claim against the school/ LEA for lost earnings.
If the reference is factual correct but it is the opinion and the manner of the reference which is the problem then she can still complain and ask for the teacher to write a fair reference.
Hopefully this will lead to a revised reference being produced.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello is there anything further you would like to know about this as I note you have not yet rated my answer which is an important part of the process?
Many thanks.