29905560

I'm the managing director of my firm and a sub contractor has

Customer Question

I'm the managing director of my firm and a sub contractor has served a county court summons against me personally for a dispute over money that may company has a dispute with him . What should I do
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Is your company a limited company?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I'm limited
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I'm limited why do ask I said this
If this was a limited company and the dispute was between it and another party, then you as the director would not be personally responsible. The company is a separate legal entity and will have its own liability. The whole point of a limited company is that it provides limited liability to its directors. So in essence the claim has been issued against the wrong party. You should contact the court and ask them to strike the claim out on the basis that you are not the party against which it should have been issued and the claim should not go ahead or at least you should be removed as the respondent. The subcontractor could still try and replace the company as the respondent or issue a new claim against t. However, it should not have been made against you and you would not have no personal responsibility in the circmstances. I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.