13262538

In april i was informed that i am a beneficiarie of an unknown,

Customer Question

In april i was informed that i am a beneficiarie of an unknown, to me, relation of mine, to their estate by an out of the blue phone call and a visit the next day from a genealogy company, the representative for this company didnt say how much the estate was worth or how many inheriters there might be. I signed a contract with them to do the researching and they said they would charge 15% to do this.When this company came round i had been off work for 12 months suffering from depression and was not really aware or interested in what i was signing up to, and because, on the whole, our family had not ever had much money, my wife and i didnt think it would be much anyway. Now we have learnt from the solicitor dealing with the estate that it amounts to around £900,000, and so now we are aggrieved that we are spending over £100,000 to this genealogy company who just turned up out of the blue. We would just like some advice on what, if at all, we can challenge this extortinate fee for what seems little work on their part.
Would you have been aware of the potential inheritance without the intervention of the company?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I wouldn't have it was a scond cousin but I never knew him
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was a complete surprise to me
In that case they have already done their work - tracing you and informing you that there was money to be claimed
I am afraid that on that basis your contract is binding
I am sorry not to give better news - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare
Thank you for your reply I understand what you are saying, however they contacted me within four days of my family member dying so they found me very quickly and as far as I can tell they haven't really done anything else how can they justify £100,000 for that I am not questioning that they should be paid for their work just about the amount they are getting.
That sounds a little odd - how were they aware of the death at that stage?