Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My partner and I were repossessed in 1992, for £43,000. My

My partner and I were repossessed in 1992, for £43,000. My partner has now died, but every 3 years I am getting a letter from various solicitor's asking for the money? How long does this go on for? I am 75 years of age, disabled and on Pension Credit, I have told them this but no one listens.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. A debt due on a mortgage is time-barred after 12years provided you have not acknowledged that you owe the money. Accordingly, the next time anyone writes to you concerning the debt, write back and say the debt is time barred owing to the lapse of time and state that if they do not stop contacting you, you will report them to the police for harassment as it is a crime to harass a person for an unowned debt. This £45,000 debt is now statute-barred owing to the lapse of time and has been for the last 10 years.