Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I have a power of attorney dated 01-04-1985, itis in my

hi, I have a power of attorney dated 01-04-1985, itis in my former married name and is for my now husband, is it still valid? Also we had wills drawn up, but mine is in my former married name, are these still valid?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

The Power of Attorney is still perfectly valid- if it does need to be registered with any Bank or other institutuion, you would just also need to produce your marriage certificate as evidence of your change of name.

As regards ***** ***** please note any Will made prior to a marriage automatically becomes revoked (ie becomes invalid). So, if your Will was signed before you got married, you will need to make a new one!

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Al