ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

I have been married years with no children, and wish

Customer Question

I have been married for 25 years with no children, and wish to separate from my husband. I just wondered if I would be intitled to anything financially?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
What are the matrimonial assets (house etc) worth and what income do you each have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

In relation to the matrimonial finances - The correct process for dealing with the matrimonial finances and division is to go through a process known as full and frank financial disclosure. Yourself and your husband need to exchange full details of all assets ( including pensions) and liabilities before negotiations take place in relation to settlement. Everything is included in disclosure - all assets and all liabilities.

The normal rule for division is 50/50 however the matrimonial causes act sets out factors which could lead to a departure from this rule. A few examples are the likely earning capacity of both of you for the future, health needs etc. If your earning capacity is less than your husbands then you should be seeking a bigger share - somewhere between 10 - 20%

You should also consider asking for spousal maintenance - if his earning capacity is higher than yours.

You should consider making a referral to a specialist mediation service. They can assist in relation to the process of disclosure and also in relation to negotiations about division. One such mediation service is the National Family Mediation service. www.nfm.org.uk

If agreement cannot be reached or your husband won't engage in providing full and frank disclosure then an application would need to be made to the court. You can not make an application to the court until you have at least attempted mediation first.

It is very important that no division of any assets takes place until a court order is obtained.

If division is agreed without the need to apply to court then you should submit a consent order for Judicial approval prior to division and obtaining decree absolute. Not doing so could leave you open for a future claim. Claims have been entertained by the courts decades after divorce / separation - so it is important that you deal with things properly.

A Solicitor can help you draft the Consent Order to protect your position for the future.

Kind Regards

Caroline

I would be grateful if you could kindly rate my answer - positive feedback is gratefully received.